Director of Archives
Posted Sep 01
University of Kentucky Libraries, Lexington, KY
Lexington, KY 40506-0456
September 1, 2010
POSITION: Director of Archives, Job #SM532124
DESCRIPTION AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The University of Kentucky seeks an archivist to administer the Archives Department within the Special Collections Division (SC) http://www.uky.edu/Libraries/SCDP .
• Reports to the Associate Dean for Special Collections (SC)
• Serves on SC management group that collaboratively administers a division comprised of Archives, the Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History Center, Special Collections Library, the Keeneland Library, and the Wendell H. Ford Public Policy Research Center.
• Responsible for the administration of an archival program which includes manuscripts, university archives, audio-visual, public policy and Bert T. Combs Appalachian collection.
• Archives personnel include four faculty archivists, two professional staff, and two staff archivists. Evaluates and facilitates employee development towards effective service, tenure, and professional achievement.
• Administers Archives budget. Responsible for the archival supply budget, the materials budget, and the student budget.
• Working collaboratively with archivists within the Archives, develops long-range planning for Archives in the context of SC strategic planning and implementation. Establishes priorities for collection development, collection management, processing, preservation, access, and resource development in line with the goals of SC.
• Cultivates past and prospective donors and pursues grants and other development opportunities to further the goals of the Archives. Has primary responsibility for university donor relations.
•Maintains archives web pages and oversees finding aid submissions to the Kentuckiana Digital Library and catalog records to Voyager as primary access tools to the collection.
• Working collaboratively with archivists within the Archives, establishes and maintains collection development, collection management, processing and preservation procedures in relation to nationally recognized best practices and standards.
• Works with Special Collections Library to ensure smooth and effective provision of service to primary source material and referral of involved reference on these materials from the Research Room.
• Provides outreach services and activities that draw the University community in to use SC facilities and Archives collections.
• Leads collection and preservation assessment activities including gathering of collection statistics for ARL.
• Works with Digital Library Services to ensure opportunities presented by online access are maximized to enable self-sufficiency by users.
= Graduate degree in library science from an ALA-accredited program.
= Minimum three years professional library experience working with archival materials.
= Demonstrated commitment to high archival standards.
= Substantive public service and supervisory experience.
= Effective written and oral communication skills.
= Demonstrable computer and information technology skills.
= Strong management skills.
= Ability to interact positively and productively in a collegial academic environment with library colleagues and library users.
= Commitment to ongoing professional development and activity and evidence of the ability to meet University of Kentucky requirements for promotion and tenure.
= Academic specialization/advanced degree in a related field such as history or archives/records management.
= Experience working with special collections materials in an academic library setting.
SALARY and BENEFITS: Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Tenure track, 12-month appointment, 22 days annual leave, TIAA/CREF and Fidelity retirement plans. Additional benefits information.
LIBRARY: Located in the beautiful bluegrass region of central Kentucky, the University of Kentucky Libraries system includes the main William T. Young Library, Medical Center Library, Special Collections, Agricultural Information Center, Little Fine Arts Library, Design Library, Education Library, Engineering Library, and Science Library. Combined holdings total more than 3.5 million volumes. The system has a faculty of 70 and a support and professional staff of 100 and serves a student body of 28,000. The UK Libraries use the Voyager integrated library system. Library membership includes ARL, SOLINET, ASERL, and the Center for Research Libraries, and is a regional depository for U.S. government publications.
TO APPLY FOR JOB for job #SM532124, a UK Academic Profile must be submitted online by clicking below.
If you have any questions, contact HR/Employment, phone (859)257-9555 press 2 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Application deadline is September 30, 2010, but may be extended as needed.
Upon offer of employment, successful applicants for certain positions must undergo a national background check as required by University of Kentucky Human Resources.
The University of Kentucky is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from minorities and women.
Faculty Recruitment Web pages:
Additional Information About Lexington, Kentucky and the Surrounding Area: