The Institute of World War II and the Human Experience, Department of History, Florida State University invites applications for the position of Archivist Librarian. The candidate for the position will have professional experience in archival processing and the management and care of a diverse range of three-dimensional material objects and artifacts. Knowledge of and demonstrated experience with Encoded Archival Description (EAD) finding aids is crucial, as the Archivist Librarian will take the lead role in making the Instituteâ€™s collections accessible through on-line finding aids.
This position will be expected to assist the Institute Director, overseeing Institute graduate and undergraduate assistants, and assist in soliciting new collections from individuals and organizations. Working with the Institute Director, the Archivist Librarian will work to promote the greater use of the archives by scholars and graduate students nationally and internationally.
- An advanced degree in Public History or Library and Information Science, or a related area, with a concentration in Archival Studies.
- Demonstrated experience arranging and describing historical collections in Archives or Special Collections.
- Experience managing, processing, and preserving archival collections.
- Knowledge of archival metadata and descriptive standards, for example EAD and DACS.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally.
Salary is negotiable based upon education and experience. FSU offers competitive benefits including health and life insurance and a retirement plan.
Founded in 1997, the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience is dedicated to preserving the history of this global conflict. With more than 6600 collections, the Institute maintains one of the nation's largest archives documenting the human dimension of the Second World War with special emphasis on the role of American servicemen and servicemen as well as those serving on the home front.
To read the entire announcement and apply, go to the FSU employment page and search for Job Opening 34194.
Source: A&A Listserv